Jan Dhan Yojana: Guiness Record
The financial inclusion scheme “Prime Minister Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY)” launched on August 28, 2014 has entered into Guiness Book of World Record for
opening maximum bank accounts in the first week of launch.
The main objective of this initiative was to provide one bank account per household and it has turned out to be a great success.
Here are the main reasons for PMJDY entry in Guiness World Record. Bank accounts opened:
- In the first week of launch: Over 1 crore
- Total bank accounts opened in shortest period of time: 11.5 crore
- Rural areas: 60%
- Urban areas: 40%
- Households covered: 99.74%
- Deposits: Rs.9,000 crore
- RuPay cards issued: 10 crore
- By public sector banks: 9.11 crore
- By regional rural bank: 2.01 crore
- By private banks: 37.58 crore
Those who have been issued RuPay card are eligible for accident cover of Rs.1 Lakh and life insurance cover of Rs.30,000. Check out benefits of RuPay card
These bank accounts would be used for transferring the direct benefits of social security schemes to the individuals.