Buy Cheap Generic Medicines in India
Amritsar in Punjab is the first city in India to open generic drug store. And Punjab government has fully supported the government to make affordable medicines available to Indian people. The main reason for Indian government to initiate the selling generic medicines is to reduce burden of poor people who are not able to afford branded medicines due to extreme high price and help people know about the cost effective generics. Compared to branded medicines, generics are sold at cost which is 70%-80%* lower. Medically there is no harm in taking generics since active ingredients are same and stringent scrutinization is done before approving the drugs for sale in the market. The only difference is that they are not associated with any brand, price is lower, medicine design is different.
Where to Buy Affordable Generic Medicines in India or Get Information on Generics
1) Jan Aushadhi Stores: An initiative of Government of India, Jan Aushadhi Stores have been opened in various locations in India. Jharkhand (24), Punjab (22) and Odisha (21) are three states where the maximum number of stores are present and most of them are open 24*7. You can buy generic drugs at Civil Hospital in following locations:
Punjab – Amritsar, Mohali, Bhatinda, Ludiana & other locations
For exact locations – visit this page: http://janaushadhi.gov.in/locate-jas.html
National Toll Free Number: 1800-180-8080
2) Jeevandhara Stores – Hyderabad: It is an government of India initiative and stores are located at various cities/towns in Andhra Pradesh. Here are few the contact details:
Osmania General Hospital – Hyderabad
Govt. General Hospital, Anantapur
More detailed list can be found here.
3) Prabodhan Goregaon Grahak Sahakari Sanstha Maryadit – Mumbai – After doing thorough research on senior citizens and medicine cost for ailments such as diabetes, blood pressure etc, they found that expenses incurred by a single person is INR 3000-4000/Month. So this organization started promoting generic medicines. They’ve displayed list of such medicines here. You can read testimonials of the customers who have been taking generic drugs regularly and benefiting from the same.
Address: 12, Mangalya Society, Siddhartha nagar, Road no 17, Goregaon (W), Mumbai – 400062
Phone: +91-22- 28797590/+91-9820241931
E-mail: [email protected]han-grahak.org
4) http://sastimedicine.com/ – On this site, you can search for branded drugs and it’s generic alternative and then chemists in your nearest location.
Listed below are measures taken by the government in order to make medicines affordable in India:
1) Fixing and controlling the MRP of the scheduled drug
2) Regulated the price rise by reducing the abnormal increase in the annual price of the medicines from 20% to 10%
3) Reducing sales tax on medicines
4) Reducing the excise duty from 16% to 8%
5) Fixed VAT of 4% for all the drugs