Health Insurance for Diabetes in India
In India, over 20% of people are diabetic and the condition become a cause of concern due to changing life style, poor dietary habits, lack of physical activity especially in big cities. Until few years back there were very few providers offering explicit insurance for diabetes patients in India. However you can now buy insurance from Star Health (Diabetes Safe) and ICICI Prudential (Diabetes Care) especially designed for diabetes patient. And here are the policy details:
Star Health (Diabetes Safe) Benefits and Features
- Any person suffering from diabetes is eligible to buy this health insurance
- Complications covered right from day-1 of buying the policy
- Coverage for all other injuries/ailments is given
- Pre and post hospitalization is also covered upto 30 days and 60 days respectively
- Cashless hospitalization
- Any diabetic with age between 18-65 years is eligible to take this insurance
Sum Insured: 3 Lac to 10 Lac
Premium: Depends on the type of plan chosen.
- If you are buying individual option – plan A, then total premium amount is Rs. 9,292 for the person aged 18-30 years for an sum assured of Rs. 3,00,000. This is the minimum premium amount for diabetics.
You can calculate premium online from here.
Also see how to save money on diabetes treatment.
ICICI Prudential – Diabetes Assure Plan – Benefits & Features
- Only patients with type-2 diabetes and pre-diabetics are eligible
- Any diabetic with age between 25-60 years is eligible to take this insurance
- Policy term is fixed for 5 years
- For the first four year after purchase, policy holder would get medical check-up once in a year along with free consulting with an expert medical practitioner
- Blood sample collection from home would be done free of cost
Sum Assured: 3 lakhs to 10 lakhs
Premiums: Can be paid every – month, 6 month and annually. Minimum premium amount for male is (excluding service tax and education cess):
- Rs. 10,023 with age limit 35-40 years
- Rs. 12,263 with limit 40-45 years
- Rs. 14,319 with limit 45-50 years
- Rs. 17,485 with age limit 50-55 years
- Rs. 21,294 with age limit 55-60 years
- Critical illness covered are – cancer, heart attack, coronary artery bypass graft and 3 other illnesses. Details can be obtained from here.
You can also save money by buying cheapest insulin injections in India.