12 Things to Rent and Earn Extra Money & Rental Platforms
Generating additional income through renting out assets and items is a viable option for those looking to make some extra cash. From homes and cars to baby gear and belongings, there are a variety of items that can be rented out to others for a fee. The possibilities are endless, and it all depends on the resources available to you and the demand in your area. In this blog post, we’ll explore the benefits of renting out your possessions and how you can get started.
(1) Renting out your home – an excellent passive income source
One of the most popular items to rent out is your home. Whether you have a spare room or an entire house, renting out your property can be a great way to earn some extra money. There are a number of platforms available for listing your property, such as Airbnb and VRBO. These platforms allow you to set your own rates and choose the dates that you want to rent out your property. You can also choose to rent out your property on a long-term basis, which can provide a steady stream of income.
(2) Renting out your car to earn extra money
Another popular item to rent out is your car. Platforms such as Turo and Getaround allow you to list your car for rent, with the option to choose who you rent it out to and for how long. This can be a great way to earn some extra cash if you have a car that you don’t use very often. Just be sure to check with your insurance company to make sure you’re covered in case of any accidents.
(3) Renting out baby gear
If you have children, you likely have a lot of baby gear that you no longer need. Platforms such as BabyQuip allow you to rent out your baby gear to other parents who are traveling or in need of temporary items. This can be a great way to earn some extra money while also helping out other parents in need.
(4) Renting out clothes and accessories
Finally, you can also rent out your belongings. Platforms such as Rent the Runway allow you to rent out your designer clothing and accessories to others for a fee. This can be a great way to earn some extra money if you have items that you no longer wear or use.
(5) Rent Camping Gears and Generate Additional Income
If you have camping gear such as tents, sleeping bags, and camp stoves, you can rent them out to people who are looking to go on a camping trip. Bicycles, mountain bikes, or electric bikes are also popular rental items, especially in areas with scenic bike trails. Kayaks, paddleboards, and other water sports equipment are in high demand during the summer months. Fishing gear, including fishing rods and tackle, is also a popular rental item for those who enjoy fishing.
(6) Rent Tools & equipment and increase your Income
Power tools, hand tools, and woodworking equipment are essential for DIY projects. Construction equipment such as cement mixers or jackhammers can also be rented out to contractors or homeowners who need to complete a construction project. Garden and landscaping tools such as lawnmowers or trimmers are also popular rental items.
(7) Rent Event and Party Supplies
If you have party tents, canopies, and event seating, you can rent them out for weddings, parties, and other events. Tables, chairs, and linens are also in high demand for events. Sound systems, projectors, or lighting equipment are also popular rental items for events. If you have inflatables, bounce houses, or water slides, you can rent them out for children’s parties. Photobooths and party entertainment equipment are also popular rental items. Costume rentals for themed events or parties are also in high demand.
(8) Rent Sports Equipment
Sports equipment such as golf clubs, tennis rackets, or skiing and snowboarding gear can be rented out to people who want to try out a new sport without having to purchase expensive equipment. Exercise equipment like treadmills, stationary bikes, or rowing machines are also popular rental items for those who want to work out at home.
(9) Renting electronics gadgets as an alternate income source
Electronics and gadgets such as cameras, drones, or camera equipment are in high demand for those who want to capture special moments or create content. Virtual reality (VR) headsets or gaming consoles are also popular rental items for those who want to try out new technology. Specialty gadgets or appliances such as sewing machines or 3D printers are also popular rental items.
(10) Rent Transportation Vehicles
Vehicles and transportation such as motorcycles, scooters, or electric scooters (check local regulations) are popular rental items for those who want to explore the city or go on a road trip. RVs, campervans, or trailers are also popular rental items for camping and road trips. Boat rentals, including sailboats, canoes, or jet skis, are also popular rental items for those who want to enjoy water activities.
(11) Rent Office or Co-Working Space and Generate Long Term Passive Income
If you have spare office space or co-working space, you can rent it out to entrepreneurs or freelancers who need a place to work. Meeting rooms or event venues can also be rented out for business meetings or workshops. Art studios or workshop spaces for artists and crafters are also popular rental items. Pottery wheels, kilns, or screen printing equipment are also popular rental items for artists and crafters.
(12) Rent Storage Solutions to Earn Extra Cash
If you have extra storage space in your home or property, you can rent it to individuals or businesses looking for storage solutions. You can also rent out your beach house, cabin, or vacation property during peak seasons. Seasonal items like snowshoes or holiday decorations can also be rented out during specific times of the year. If you have the space and experience to care for animals, you can offer pet boarding or pet-sitting services.
Where to put your products on rent?
Renting out items and assets can be a lucrative business venture, and there are various avenues available for you to explore. Whether you prefer an online or offline approach, the decision ultimately depends on your target audience, the nature of the items you wish to rent, and your preferred method of rental management.
Online Rental Platforms
Let’s start with online rental platforms. These platforms have gained immense popularity in recent years due to their convenience and accessibility. They allow you to list your items and connect with potential renters from all over the world. Here are some popular online options to put your belongings on rent and earn additional income:
- Peer-to-Peer Rental Websites: These platforms specialize in connecting individuals who want to rent out their items with those who are seeking rentals. Some well-known examples include Airbnb, which focuses on property rentals, and Turo, which caters to car rentals. Other platforms like Fat Llama, Loanables, and BabyQuip offer a wide range of item rentals.
- General Classifieds and Marketplaces: You can also utilize general online marketplaces and classified websites to list your items for rent. Platforms such as Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and eBay (for short-term rentals) provide a broader reach and attract a diverse audience.
- Specialized Rental Platforms: Depending on the type of item you wish to rent, there are specialized platforms available. For instance, if you have tools and equipment to rent, you can utilize tool rental websites like ToolHound or Zilok. Similarly, if you own a boat and want to rent it out, platforms like Boatsetter or Click&Boat cater specifically to boat rentals. These specialized platforms can help you target a niche market and attract potential renters with specific needs.
- Equipment Rental Platforms: If you have professional equipment to rent, there are dedicated platforms available for that as well. ShareGrid is a popular platform for renting camera equipment, while RedAwning specializes in vacation rentals. These platforms cater to a specific industry and attract professionals looking for high-quality equipment.
Offline Rental Avenues
Now let’s explore offline rental methods. While online platforms offer convenience and a wide reach, offline methods can be equally effective, especially for building trust within your local community. Here are some offline rental methods you can consider:
- Local Advertising: Utilize local newspapers, community bulletin boards, and classified ads to promote your rental services to people in your area. These traditional advertising methods can help you reach a targeted local audience.
- Word of Mouth: Spread the word about your rental offerings among your friends, family, and neighbors. They may refer potential renters to you, helping you build a customer base through trusted recommendations.
- Flyers and Brochures: Create physical flyers or brochures with detailed information about your rentals and distribute them in local businesses, community centers, and other relevant locations. This can help you attract potential renters who may not be actively searching online.
- Rental Shops: Depending on the nature of your items, you can partner with existing rental shops or stores to offer your items as additional rental options. This allows you to tap into an established customer base and benefit from their existing marketing efforts.
- Networking: Attend local events, meetings, or gatherings where you can network with potential renters or other rental providers. Building relationships within your community can be invaluable for generating rental leads and establishing trust.
- Local Rental Marketplaces: Some communities have their own rental marketplaces or apps, especially in smaller towns and rural areas. These local platforms can be highly effective for targeting a specific audience and catering to the unique needs of your local community.
- Yard Sales and Flea Markets: If you have items to rent that are commonly found at yard sales or flea markets, consider renting them out from your own yard sale or booth. This allows you to attract potential renters who are already interested in purchasing similar items.
When deciding between online and offline rental methods, it’s important to consider the convenience, reach, and audience that best suit your rental business. Online platforms typically offer a broader reach and may attract tourists or visitors from different areas. On the other hand, local offline methods can be effective for building trust within your community and serving local residents. Some rental providers find success by utilizing a combination of both online and offline methods to maximize their rental income and reach a diverse customer base.
Points to Remember before Renting Out
Before renting out any items or assets, it is important to research the local demand and regulations in your area. Ensure that you have the necessary permits or licenses. Additionally, consider liability insurance to protect yourself and your assets in case of accidents or damage. Providing excellent customer service and maintaining the quality of your rented items is crucial to building a successful rental business.
In conclusion, renting out your possessions can be a great way to earn some extra cash. Whether you choose to rent out your home, car, baby gear, or belongings, there are a variety of platforms available to help you get started. Just be sure to do your research and make sure you’re comfortable with the terms and conditions of each platform before listing your items for rent. Whether you choose to utilize online rental platforms or prefer offline methods, it’s essential to consider your target audience, the nature of your items, and your preferred method of rental management. By strategically selecting the right platforms and implementing effective marketing techniques, you can successfully rent out your items and generate a steady income.
Hi, I am Nikesh Mehta, owner and writer of this site. I’m an analytics professional and also love writing on finance and related industry. I’ve done online course in Financial Markets and Investment Strategy from Indian School of Business. I can be reached at [email protected].