Updating EPF KYC: Documents, Advantages, Claims Processing
EPFO assigns a Universal Account Number to individuals with multiple Member (Employee) accounts from different establishments. The purpose is to connect all Member Identification Numbers (Member Id) to one UAN, allowing members to access details of all linked Member Ids. When joining a new establishment, members must provide their UAN to link the new Member Id to the existing UAN.
EPFO members can now update their EPF KYC information online through the UAN EPFO website using their UAN credentials. Members must log in to the EPFO UAN portal and upload the required documents to update their KYC details, including PAN card number, Aadhar card, and bank account information. It is crucial to update this information promptly to avoid any delays or claim rejections.
Maintaining up-to-date KYC information on the EPF portal has many benefits, such as avoiding delays during fund transfers or withdrawals and receiving SMS alerts on KYC document submissions.
Documents Required for Updating EPF KYC
- Aadhaar Card
- Permanent Account Number (PAN)
- Valid Bank Account details
- Valid Passport Number
- Valid Driving License
- Valid Election Card
- Valid Ration Card
Instructions for Updating KYC Details
EPFO now provides a hassle-free online facility to all account holders for updating their KYC details. Keeping KYC details updated on time has several benefits, such as reduced TDS on withdrawals, smoother account-related operations and transactions, and more. The government has recently made it mandatory for employees to link their EPF account with an Aadhaar card, which will enhance the efficiency of the entire process.
Updating KYC details on the EPF account is a straightforward and easy process.
Members can follow the steps mentioned below to update KYC details on the EPF portal:
(a) To access the EPF account, the user must first log in using their UAN (Universal Account Number) and password. The link to be used for this step is unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/.
(b) The user can access the “KYC” option from the drop-down list in the “Manage” tab.
(c) Once the user logs in successfully, they will be able to access the form for updating KYC details. In this form, the user needs to provide their Aadhaar, passport, PAN, driving license, ration card, National Population Register (NPR) election card, and bank details.
(d) To update a document, the user should click on the adjacent box corresponding to the desired document. The user will be required to input the document number, account holder’s name as stated in the document, and additional information such as the IFSC code for bank account details or the expiration date for driving licenses and passports.
(e) After making the necessary changes, the user should click on the save button to save the data. The data will be automatically saved in the “Pending KYC” section.
(f) If the user chooses not to update their information, they can terminate the KYC process by clicking on the ‘X’ symbol located next to the document before it is verified by EPFO.
(g) The EPFO cross-checks all additional details with the relevant department’s records for validation.
(h) After all the details have been approved, a verified mark will be displayed on the front side of the document.
Steps to Obtain Login Information for UAN EPF Portal
In order to update your KYC information, it is necessary to have login details. If you don’t have them, you can follow these steps:
(1) Visit the UAN EPF Link.
(2) Locate the UAN Activation link on the bottom right-hand section and click on it.
(3) Fill in all the necessary details like city, state, Aadhaar number, PAN number, date of birth, mobile number, etc., and click on “Generate Pin”.
(4) Once you receive your login credentials, you can proceed to log in to the UAN portal and update your KYC details.
What is the process for updating contact details in an EPF account?
The EPF portal allows users to update their KYC details as well as make changes or update their contact details. Below is the process for updating contact details.
- To access your EPF account, you must log in with your UAN (user ID) and password.
- After that, proceed to the “Manage” category and select the “Contact Details” choice from the drop-down list.
- The user’s mobile number and email address will be automatically entered into the EPF account. This information is collected during the activation of the user’s EPF account.
- To update your contact details, choose either the “Change mobile number” or “Change email ID” option from the box. Afterward, click on the “Get Authorization Pin” button.
- Once the user enters the verification PIN received via OTP on their registered mobile number, their EPF account will be updated with the new email or phone details.
- It may take some time for the updates to be reflected on the user’s EPF account.
The Advantages of Updating KYC Details
Updating KYC details in your EPF account can bring about numerous advantages. By doing so, the account holder can access a range of benefits, including but not limited to:
- Once the KYC details are connected with the UAN, online requests for withdrawal can be efficiently handled.
- Ensuring updated KYC details facilitates seamless transfer of EPF accounts.
- Monthly PF post activation alerts can be received by users as well.
- In case a user/member opts to withdraw their PF before completing 5 years of service, the withdrawn amount will be subject to a 10% TDS if the PAN details are updated in the account. However, if the PAN details have not been updated, the applicable TDS percentage is high.
What happens if the employer does not approve the KYC details?
If an employee is experiencing difficulties obtaining approval after updating their KYC information on the EPF portal, the following steps can be followed:
Request for Information to the Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) department: The employee has the option to submit a request for information (RTI) to the EPF authorities in order to inquire about the reason for the delay in KYC verification. To strengthen the RTI application, the employee can include supporting evidence such as screenshots. It is advisable to seek the assistance of an expert when filing the RTI to ensure that the correct procedures are followed and accurate responses can be obtained.
File a Complaint with EPF Authorities: To file a complaint with the EPF authorities, the employee can use the grievance cell and access the complaint website through this link. However, it’s important to note that the website is exclusively for submitting online complaints. If an employee hasn’t received their UAN number from their employer or hasn’t activated it, they won’t be able to file a complaint using the portal.
Contact the Employer: In most cases, the HR department of a company handles all employee EPF matters. However, if there is an urgent need for KYC approval, it may not be practical to use the RTI application or online complaint process. In this situation, employees can contact the senior management of the organization directly to register a complaint and escalate the issue.
Processing Claims Online
Below are key reminders to consider when filing an online claim for EPF:
- The member must provide evidence of the activated UAN.
- The employer must ensure that the Aadhaar number is linked and authenticated.
- The employer must verify and approve the updated bank details.
- The employer must update, verify, and approve the PAN card details.
An employee is entitled to have their documents approved by the employer within one month. If this is not done within the specified timeframe, the employee can submit a request letter to the HR department and escalate the issue to the EPF authorities, filing a complaint against the employer for lack of cooperation during the process.
Conclusion: If an Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) account is not KYC compliant, the member will not be able to access various online services on the Employees Provident Fund Organisation’s (EPFO) Member e-Sewa Portal.
Hi, I am Nikesh Mehta, owner and writer of this site. I’m an analytics professional and also love writing on finance and related industry. I’ve done online course in Financial Markets and Investment Strategy from Indian School of Business. I can be reached at [email protected].