Comparison of Cancer Insurance Providers in India
Do you know what is common in following people?
- Manisha Koirala
- Yuvraj Singh
- Lisa Ray
- Anurag Basu
Apart from being famous celebrities, they had one more thing in common, they all were treated for cancer. Treating this deadly health condition, is very expensive and not affordable by common man. Typically the treatment costs no less than Rs. 5,00,000. It really drains off the whole life savings and creates financial instability for the whole family. So never in the wildest dream someone would think of having a cancer.
This is because of following reasons:
- It is life threatening
- Diagnosis and complete cure is difficult
- Treatment cost is very high. Check out hospitals offering cheapest treatment for cancer in India.
How to manage money when you suffer from cancer?
When cancer is detected and suggested treatments are recommended, the patient has to either rely on following for arranging money:
- Own’s savings
- Existing health insurance provider
- Take personal loan
- Borrow money from friends/relatives
Now the question arises who offers cancer insurance in India?
There are many insurance companies covering cancer under their critical illness policies. Few of the companies are:
- Bharti Axa
- Bajaj Allianz
Although these companies provide coverage for cancer, there are various terms and conditions involved. So best solution is to buy cancer insurance plan specially designed for the ailment offered by following companies/entities:
- Indian Cancer Society in collaboration with New India Assurance
- Cancer Patients Aid Association in collaboration with New India Assurance
- HDFC Life Cancer Plus Plan
- ICICI Prudential Cancer Care Plus
Here is the chart showing the comparison of important features. Also mentioned is the direct contact number:
|Features Comparison||Indian Cancer Society (ICS) + New India Assurance Company||Cancer Patients Aid Association (CPAA) + New India Assurance Company||HDFC Life Cancer Plus Plan||ICICI Prudential Cancer Care Plus|
|Annual Premium||1) Rs. 496 for sum assured of Rs. 50, 000|
2) Rs. 1157 for sum assured of Rs. 2,00, 000
|One time lump sum payment of:|
1) Rs. 2400 for sum insured of 30,000
2) Rs. 3000 for sum insured of 50,000
3) Rs. 4700 for sum insured of 1,00,000
4) Rs. 6300 for sum insured of 1,50,000
5) Rs. 8000 for sum insured of 2,00,000
|Depends on 4 factors:|
1) Plan type viz: Silver, Gold, Platinum
3) Policy Term
4) Gender (Male or Female)
Silver plan: Rs. 1,333 for 35 years age male and policy term of 10 years
|1) Between Rs. 4,604 to 8,945 for 10 Lakh Cover (For Male)
2) Between Rs. 8,602 to 14,845 for 10 Lakh Cover (For Female)
|Sum Assured||Rs. 50, 000 or Rs. 2,00, 000||Rs. 30,000 or 50,000 or 1,00,000 or 1,50,000 or 2,00,000||Rs. 10,00, 000 or Rs. 40,00,000||Rs 5,00,000 – 25,00,000|
|Pre-Medical Test Required?||No||Yes||No||Yes|
|Pre-existing cancer covered?||No||No||No||No|
|Can you buy policy online?||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Contact Details - Phone No.||+91-22-2413 9445 / 51||+91 22 24924000 / +91 22 24921856 / +91 22 24928775||1800-266-9777 (toll free)||1800-22-2020 (toll free)|
- After heart disease, cancer is the second most common cause of death in India.
- There are various signs of cancer such as – unexplained weight loss, difficulty in swallowing food, sore doesn’t heal etc.
- Causes of cancer vary. This includes genetic changes, chewing tobacco/alcohol etc.
- Heredity also increases risk of developing cancer.
- Every year in India, over 7 lakh new cases of of cancer are detected and nearly 3.5 lakh succumb to death.
- Tobacco is the major cause of cancer death in India contributing above 30%.