Digital Locker: How to Sign-up, Use and Store Documents
DigiLocker Sign-Up Process
On 10thFebruary 2015, Department of Electronics & Information Technology (DeitY), Ministry of Communications & IT, Government of India launched India’s first digital locker system – Digital Locker or DigiLocker which offers tremendous benefits with a main purpose of reducing dependency on physical documents and stop fake documents issue. In order to avail this service, individual has to first sign-up steps for this are mentioned below:
Step-1: In order to sign-up for digital locker (DigiLocker), individual needs to visit any one of the following three official government websites:
Step-2: Once you’re on this site, enter Aadhar number in the text box as shown below and the captcha and click Sign-Up/Login button. This will generate an One time password (OTP) and would be sent on the mobile number used while registering for Aadhar card. Enter OTP. This process will complete the e-KYC with UIDAI.
Step-3: Once above step is successfully done, user would be successfully registered and following screen would be displayed. Account user can now use this to:
- Upload & store personal documents such as marriage certificates, educational marksheets, tax return documents and many others
- View e-documents uploaded by various issuers
- Share e-documents with requesting agencies to their E-mail. The process is very simple to understand.
Document types that can be stored
The system will allow user to store document of file types: PDF, JPG, JPEG, PNG, BMP and GIF.
DigiLocker Useful Information
- This is the Beta version of the system
- e-Sign implementation is under process
- The scheme will be rolled out at national level
- Various government agencies will also have to sign-up in this system