5 Benefits of Consulting a Personal Injury Attorney
The term Personal Injury has different meaning for all. But in the legal domain it is used to distinguish a harm or loss that one individual or company causes to the other. When an accident occurs that results in personal injury due to the negligence of another person, those affected have the right to file a lawsuit or claim in order to obtain compensation for the damages caused.
A variety of factors and laws come into play in a personal injury claim, which determine the following:
- How to establish the fault of the responsible party?
- What type of compensation can be obtained?
- How and when to file suit?
- What kind of settlement can the parties involved negotiate?
- What do insurance companies decide?
In USA, personal injury laws vary by state. This is the reason why most people who decide to file a personal injury claim, or lawsuit, prefer to work with an attorney. Attorneys who handle accident and negligence cases specialize in handling all of the specifics required by personal injury law, depending on the state where the incident occurred.
5 Reasons to Hire Personal Injury Attorney in USA
However, an injured person’s motives for filing a claim are very particular. This detail creates hesitation in deciding how to retain the legal services of a personal injury attorney. Below are 5 basic reasons why an experienced personal injury lawyer’s help should be seized, and not let your option to claim expire and lose the opportunity to recover compensation.
- An attorney knows how much your injury claim is worth.
- An attorney understands the legal process
- An attorney improves your chances of success
- An attorney is motivated to defend you
- A lawyer can represent you at trial
(1) An attorney knows how much your injury claim is worth
Most injured people find it difficult to estimate how much compensation they can get for a personal injury claim.
Although digital tools are available to calculate the amount of expenses and the value of your claim, they are not accurate. This practice requires understanding the details of your particular case, the type of injuries and the circumstances of the accident.
An attorney, with the help of your legal team, can analyze your legal options by considering the following components:
- The extent of your injuries: Serious injuries can leave high expenses for medical bills.
- Pain and suffering due to the accident: For example, if there was death of a loved one, or financial problems due to loss of income.
- Insurance company proposals: An attorney knows how insurance companies operate, so he or she will be able to evaluate whether compensation is fair.
- Aftermath of the accident: Some accidents can leave long-term health problems. For example, such as brain and spinal cord injuries that often develop in automobile and slip and fall accidents.
Only after considering all of these aspects will an attorney be able to tell you a potential claim amount.
Check out: Negligence in Personal Injury Cases
(2) An attorney understands the legal process
Tackling a personal injury case without accurate knowledge of the legal procedures is very risky.
For example, the person who decides to represent himself or herself should know:
- What are the legal documents that must be filed?
- How to fill out the forms correctly?
- What is the statute of limitations in your state?
- What does it mean to be guilty?
- How to gather admissible evidence?
Even a lack of legal understanding can allow insurance companies to win on a simple failure of a legal detail.
(3) An attorney improves your chances of success
Insurance companies have extensive knowledge of the legal implications of an accident and have excellent bargaining power, which they use to get you to accept the lowest possible settlement.
Insurance companies use the lack of legal knowledge of each plaintiff to protect their own interests. The best strategy you can take with you is a personal injury law firm that can negotiate a favorable settlement on your terms to pay your medical expenses, recover your lost wages or other medical treatment in the future.
(4) An attorney is motivated to defend you
Most personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. This means that they will only collect compensation if the plaintiff obtains a positive insurance settlement or wins the case.
This is to your advantage, as your attorney will be more inclined to settle the claim quickly and for a high value award.
(5) An attorney can represent you at trial
A large percentage of injury cases do not go to trial. Statistics show that almost all personal injury claims settle. However, if your case requires you to go to court, it is advisable to go with legal representation and not by yourself.
On the other hand, statistics also show that there is a good chance that a jury will decide against the insurance companies. So, if your attorney tells the insurers and the responsible party that you are prepared to go to court, it is very likely that they will be motivated to make you a quick and fair offer.
Speak to a qualified personal injury attorney today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative, but legal matters can become complicated and stressful. A qualified personal injury lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a qualified personal injury lawyer near you to discuss your particular legal situation.
Hi, I am Nikesh Mehta, owner and writer of this site. I’m an analytics professional and also love writing on finance and related industry. I’ve done online course in Financial Markets and Investment Strategy from Indian School of Business. I can be reached at [email protected].