Insurance for Angioplasty, Bypass – Coverage, Sum Assured, Premium, Eligibility
Health Insurance for Angioplasty and Bypass surgery in India
According to the statistics, India is the capital of cardiac diseases. And estimates states that by the year 2020 heart related ailments would contribute 40% deaths in India. And despite of rising number of heart diseases in India, poor and middle class people cannot afford treatments due to expensive treatment/surgery costs and medications. Although patient can undergo world’s cheapest surgery at Narayana Hrudayalaya, Bengaluru, but still having an health insurance provider pay for the expenses especially for angioplasty or by-pass surgery can save you big amount of money and reduce financial burden off your family. Although you can buy cheap generic medicines for heart diseases but there are many branded medications you need to buy and have to take lifelong which costs very high.
Insurance provider – after angioplasty and bypass surgery
In India, star health has launched cardiac care insurance plan for PTCA (stenting) or CABG (Bypass). Following are the details:
- Only people who have undergone angioplasty or by-pass-surgery ONLY ONCE can apply for the policy between 6 months and 3 years. For e.g. If someone has undergone angioplasty/by-pass surgery in 01 Jan’14 then he is eligible to apply only on 02July2014 and upto 31st Dec’17. Someone applying before or after this period cannot apply for this insurance plan. However the person will have to undergo medical tests.
- Age limit 10-65 years
Premium Cost: There are two plans launched by Star health under cardiac care – Gold and Silver and here the premium details:
- Hospitalization expenses incurred as an in-patient for illness/sickness/diseases/accidental injuries
- Any cardiac related complications which necessitate surgery/intervention
- Under gold plan: cardiac medical management is also covered
- Room rent: 2% of sum insured. Maximum limit is Rs. 5000. So make sure to admit the patient in the room under this limit after consulting the doctor
- Post hospitalization: 7% of hospital expenses are covered but this excludes room rent cost as mentioned above.
- For more details visit star health website
- Insured individual is eligible for tax benefits under section 80D of income tax act
There are two cases under this:
- In case, insured person falsifies any data then the company may cancel the policy
- If insured person wants to cancel this policy any time during the policy term, the company will retain premium at short period rate only as follows:
- Upto one month: one-third of annual premium
- Upto three months: half of annual premium
- Upto six months: 3/4th of annual premium
- Exceeding six months: full annual premium
How to Claim:
- In case of planned hospitalization, the company should be informed 24 hours before being admitted to the hospital
- In case of emergency, information should be sent to the company within the 24 hours of hospitalization
- ID/policy number is must for the processing of the claim procedure. So make sure your family is informed well in advance. For easy access, take a snapshot of the insurance card and store it in your cell phone and also save the number in your cell phone
- Always keep your medical records handy and try to keep photo-copy of each and every documents. Because non- availability of even a single document can result in claim denial
- If patient is hospitalized in a non-networked hospital then payment should be made by the person first and then insurance claim should be made to the company after submitting all the documents.
For more details contact star health on toll-free 1800 425 2255 / 1800 102 4477 or E-mail at [email protected]
Although this insurance for heart patients is expensive looking at the premiums, patients can save money on heart disease with lifestyle changes and prevent themselves from lifelong medical expenses.
Interested users can also visit heart rate monitors available at flipkart.com. Most of these products have 4 stars rating and sold at a high discounted rate.