PMJDY Life Cover: Eligibility, Claim Process, Benefits
Jan Dhan Yojana Life Cover
Pradhanmantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) was launched on 28th August 2014 to provide a basic bank account in every household. And this scheme has been enlisted in Guiness book of world record for opening highest number of accounts in a short span of time. Life insurance is amongst one of the many benefits offered under this scheme. The main objective of giving life insurance was to provide financial security to the deceased’s dependent who otherwise cannot afford insurance. Here are the details:
- Claim amount: Rs. 30,000
- Who will process the claim: Life insurance corporation of India
- Who will get the claim amount: Nominee of the bank account holder whose name was mentioned while opening the bank account. Check out documents required to open Jan Dhan Account
- Individuals who have opened account between 15th August 2014 to 26th January 2015 are only eligible for life insurance
- One person per family will get life cover of Rs. 30,000 under PMJDY
- This life insurance is only for those who have opened account for the first time
- He/she should be the earning member of the family and within the age group 18-59 years
- Individual must have a valid RuPay card. Check out benefits of RuPay card
- Life cover is valid until 2019-2020. After that government will review and make changes to the terms and conditions.
- Cover won’t be provided if deceased person reaches the age of 60 years before the death
How to claim for life cover under Jan Dhan Yojana
- Nominee of the deceased/legal heirs will have to fill the form and then submit all the documents to the district or nodal branch of the bank where account was opened.
- Pension and group scheme units of LIC will then process the claim upon receiving all the documents by the concerned bank.
Documents required along with the claim settlement form: Nominee will have to submit attested copies of following documents:
- Attested copy of the death certificate
- Aadhar card photocopy of deceased and claimant
How is the claim amount received
The amount of Rs.30,000 will be directly credited to the bank account of the nominee by the LIC.
Details required in the life insurance claim form
Life cover of Rs.30,000 under Pradhanmantri Jan Dhan Yojana will be paid by LIC. The claim form is very simple and here are the few details:
- Full name and residential address of the deceased
- Name and address of the bank (public/private) where the PMJDY account was opened
- PMJDY account number, RuPay card number, Aadhar card number
- Date and place of death, age at the time of death